Monday, February 21, 2011

On a More Positive Note

On a more positive note, here are things I am grateful for.....

Getting ready for yet again, another long-term substituting job where I get to be in a high school! I decided last week that given the option of teaching art in elementary, middle, or high school, I'd choose high school.

The long-term sub job will likely last the whole rest of the school year starting somewhere around March 21st!

I'm thankful for my education and look forward to finishing my masters degree in the near future. 

I am grateful for all the principals out there who support the arts. Without principals using extra FTE towards art, there would be a lot less art teachers out there.

I'm grateful for the students who register for art classes, the less students there are, the less need for art teachers there are. That's why I've got to be a really good teacher that teaches fun and educational lessons.

I'm grateful that I received such a sound education in art, that I can push my students to be the best artists they can be because I can help them expand there talent as much as they're willing to. 

I'm grateful for other art teachers out there that show me it can all be done. Not without a lot of work, of course, but eventually I'll be in a spot, teaching what I want to teach at the school I want to teach at, and it will be so much fun. 

I'm grateful for all the examples that paved the way before me in both art and education. Faith Ringgold, for example, started teaching art at public schools in New York City, before she became recognized for her story quilts and children books. She is influenced feminist artwork in a big way.


No comments:

Post a Comment