Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy & Inspired

"Being born is like being kidnapped and sold into slavery." Andy Warhol

I've always loved pop art. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe because it was so unexpected and irreverent in that out-there sort of nature. Liechtenstein's over-sized, comic book inspired prints next to Jasper John's Flag, Theibaud's pies and Warhol's colorful soup cans seem pointless in nature and a little bit funny. What do they mean? Nothing? Something deeper? Like many art movements, art critics had a hard pill to swallow when the pop art movement started, many rejected it as art at first. I love color. A good use of color is over looked by many people, I believe. Bright colors and recognizable images, maybe that's what draws me into pop art. I love the fact that one of the said goals of pop art, was to make everyday things the subject of artwork. I think of it like this, many people are walking around blind to the beauty they see everyday because for one reason or another, they stop seeing these everyday objects.



Is that the Reichstag? Why is it wrapped in fabric?

 
One of my art professors in college defined art as learning to see. I absolutely think that is true. Maybe that was Christo and Jean-Claude's goal. To force people to see the beauty they ignored everyday.

Back to the quote by Warhol, I think I could use it as an anticiptory set in high school. Have students write a short paragraph in respone to the quote and then illustrate it. I guess it could be a full-fledged assignment as well. I think lots of teenagers can relate to the quote, which makes the assignment more interesting to the students because it's about themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment